Good Afternoon,

   Today was a good day to work on antennas.  Steady rain, dense fog, and light winds.  When I first raised this antenna I had few choices for where each leg could go.  After the recent thinning my options are much greater.  So I moved the leg which was at 300 degrees to point at 10 degrees.  The leg which is now at 140 degrees would be better at 190 degrees but that will take some work with a chainsaw.  Chainsaws and muddy footing don't mix so I will wait for a drier day.  While there is a tall cedar right where I want it there are three young hemlocks in the way.  If I take out the middle one all will be well.

I woke up yesterday with AZ on my mind.  During breakfast I decoded that cryptic thought.  Someone had told me QTH AZ but I did not remember putting that state in my report.  After checking it and actually reading my notes I found the problem.

K0JFJ - Nick - TX       should read      K0JFJ - Nick - AZ

Sorry Nick, though depending on where you live in Texas it can be like living in Arizona.  But then there are many places which are not similar.  There is no comparison between Flagstaff, AZ and Houston, TX; each has its unique features.

Hopefully the new antenna placement will aim farther south than did the previous arrangement.  I put a T-square on a map of the US and used that to determine where to place each leg.  If I had a true dipole over 1/2 wavelength above the ground the main lobe would point at North Carolina.  But each leg's end is not as high as is the center.  The interior angle is around 150 degrees so the antenna is not quite an inverted V but the propagation pattern should be wider than a true dipole.  I found when I dropped the ends of a shorter antenna stations to my north and south were stronger.  Next Sunday I get to test it on both 20 and 40 meters.

   Until then 73,

      Kevin.  KD5ONS

-