Steve -
I have the XV144, XV222, and XV432 in my shack on a K3. Basically, a
transverter allows you to use your radio on a band that's not already built
in to the radio. For example, the XV144 lets you use your HF radio on the
144MHz (2 meter) band.
The transverter converts the received 2m signal into a signal on the 10M
band so your K2 can receive it. On transmit, it converts a low-level 10m
signal to a 2m signal, amplifies it, and sends it to the antenna.

The XV transverters are great if you want to do SSB and CW on the VHF and
UHF bands.

Does that help?