Ted and all,

I do not think restricting the choices to VHF and UHF gear is going to "save the hobby".

There are few inexpensive ventures into HF available today. There are a few inexpensive CW only kits available from QRPme.com, but those are quite limited and are CW only. Oh to have the Dave Benson SWL series back. Those were good kits which could put the new ham on the air with a good receiver, but again CW only. I do not see any equivalent today.

The QRPme kits are interesting, but being CW only, they are limited to those willing to learn CW. Even a 'knock-off' of the K1 is CW only.

For potentially new hams, we hams need to have something that is viable for HF and not expensive. Remember the high schooler and the recent college graduate who does not a lot of extra money. I do not see many choices for them other than the inexpensive VHF/UHF FM transceivers, which work fine with repeaters, but do nothing for the HF spectrum. I built my first transmitter of salvaged TV parts at a very, very low cost, but that was back in the late 1950's when such parts were available many for the asking at the local TV repair shop.

A used HF transceiver may the only current logical choice.

Elecraft has championed the high performance, high end market, and has done well at it, but that performance comes at a price. Few beginners in ham radio can afford a K3S let alone a KX2, so for beginners, they are "left in the lurch" with choices mainly in the used gear market.

Nostalgia for 'what was' is interesting, but does nothing for the newcomers to HF with limited funds. Even the era of cheap surplus military gear is gone. I used to buy Command set transmitters and receivers for $5 each at the surplus store, and you could salvage parts from them to build transmitters and receivers, but those rigs are collectors items today and are expensive.

73,
Don W3FPR