Pierre,

That may be normal behavior, the power will drop to 5 watts if either low voltage occurs or if a high PA temperature condition occurs.

If you are operating digital modes, I suspect that the high PA temperature is causing the drop in power.

Check the BAT MIN setting in the KX2 menu. See page 43 of the manual. The proper setting varies depending on the battery type, and the default is 10 volts.

73,
Don W3FPR