Brian,

If you have relays clicking and it attempts to tune, then the firmware chip
is likely just fine.
You said it failed after a storm, which gives me cause to believe that the
two diodes in the wattmeter should be replaced.  Put new 1N5711s in the D1
and D2 positions and I would believe the problem will go away.

Note that these diodes are sitting in the wattmeter section which hangs
directly off the antenna jack, making them most vulnerable to
static/lightning damage.  Disconnect your rig from the antenna during a
storm.

73,
Don W3FPR