Well, not exactly the /worst/ thing you could have used, but you're right, visualizing a chart is adding an extra step in the learning process toward aural copying.

And Wes is also correct.  A whole generation or two of amateur radio operators had nothing at hand but charts printed in the Boy Scout Handbook and Signalling Merit Badge booklet.  However, no one told us it was the wrong way to go.  Those charts got many of us a Novice license in addition to Merit Badges.  Later, I studied from Ameco vinyl records which got me a 13 wpm General.  Nightly work on the National Traffic System got me a 20 wpm Extra.

The bottom line is that many of those Scouts who learned by charts are today's 30 wpm and higher operators.

W4RK and I have taught code classes every Saturday morning (sometimes three) for many years.  We do not allow charts in class.  What students use at home is anybody's guess.  But with today's online Morse programs there is no reason to complicate (and slow) the learning process by consulting a printed chart.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV