Hi Hank,

While intuitively it would seem that WSPR is a viable method for
performing antenna evaluations, extreme short term variability of
the ionosphere makes it into a heroic task...

The only viable method I've found -- and it works very well --
is to install a reference antenna within about 1/2 wavelength
of the antenna under test, it MUST have the same polarization
as the antenna under test and ideally -- to avoid interactions --
neither antenna should "look through" the other.

In almost every case -- unless you have local RFI issues --
evaluations performed using your receiver produce nearly identical
results as using your transmitter.

73
Frank
W3LPL