Aubrey,
I think you are referring to the KX3 Companion for Android by  Andrea IU4APC.

I have tried this for lightweight operations.    It woks by sending out
commands to KX3 in ASCII over serial.
Android<>OTG Adaptor<>Serial to USB<>KX3.

If you want the waterfall to work - which us optional  - I use the KX3
headphone output into the 3.5mm audio jack on my Tablet.   This worked OK on my
old Nexus 9.  Some tablets don’t recognise the microphone input .  The Android
Headset Tester is a good bit of Freeware which you can use to check the
microphone is recognised.   Some tablets need an extra low resistance ( 1k3 )
to recognise a microphone is plugged in.

PSK31 and Morse are sent as ASCII and the KX3 does the translating to the
signals to modulate the SSB.
I&Q aren’t needed.

I don’t use PSK31 any more but have moved to JS8Call and FT8 and hope we might
get an internal KX3 or Android implementation.

John N