Time to break out the portable rigs and snow-shoes, everyone: it's Winter Field
Day, 2020.

I was reminded of this by Bonnie, KQ6XA. She forwarded some info from the WFDA
(Winter Field Day Association), repeated below.

I'm embarrassed to report that we've lost our Winter here in the Bay Area, with
temperatures of about 60 F both Saturday and Sunday. Nonetheless, we'll bundle
up and break out the chemical hand warmers in solidarity with our more
northerly and easterly peers.

I'll be using the KX2. See you on the air--

73,
Wayne
N6KR

* * *

Winter Field Day Association

https://www.winterfieldday.com/

"Winter Field Day Association (WFDA) is a dedicated group of Amateur Radio
Operators who believe that emergency communications in a winter environment is
just as important as the preparations and practice that is done each summer but
with some additional unique operational concerns.

"We believe as do those entities of ARRL Organizations like ARES & RACES that
maintaining your operational skills should not be limited to fair weather
scenarios. The addition of Winter Field Day will enhance those already
important skills of those that who generously volunteer their time and
equipment to these organizations. This is why WFD is open to all licensed
amateur radio operators worldwide.

"Disasters are unpredictable by nature and can strike when you least expect
them. WFDA's goal is to help enhance your skills and ready you for all
environmental conditions found in the US and Canada during the spring, summer,
fall and winter Preparedness is the key to a professional and timely response
during any event and this is what local and state authorities are expecting
when they reach  out to the emergency service groups that offer their services.

"If you are serious about emergency communications as we are; we welcome you to
join us for our yearly event. We are sure you will find this event a pleasant
change and challenge to that of a normal summer time field day."

"FT8 Notes: WFD has always had an Ecomm emphasis, even back when SPAR sponsored
it.. We waited for FT8 2.0, hoping it would be more flexible as we were told it
would be, but were disappointed that the new release would NOT do the WFD
Exchange as it currently stands. That alone rules out using FT8 for WFD. Also,
its ability to carry any emergency message is near nil... try sending "SOS -
HMS TITANIC - HIT ICE - SINKING - 82.566N 34.713W". Almost any other mode can
send that (or the WFD Exchange). Getting a message through bad conditions is
great.. but getting only a grid square and a signal report is hardly a message
of value to Ecomms. When FT8 can do the WFD exchange verbatim, as written in
the rules, it'll become part of WFD. That has been the consensus of the WFDA
board for some time... We are not anti-FT8. The ARRL did not change any rules
in its contests to allow FT8... FT8 developers changed what it could send to
fit a few ARRL contest exchanges. PS... There are a few f
 olks talking about using JS8Call... you might want to try that. It works
similarly to FT8, but is far more robust in what it can send and receive"