i would beg to differ. Amateur radio is a hobby comprised of experimenters,
home-brewers, DXers, contesters, ragchewers, CW enthusiasts and EM comms to
name a few. Each group has their own technical needs.

Regarding AM in transceivers,  it hasn’t been properly implemented for the last
50 years or more. It is a derivative based on SSB generation which introduces
many shortcomings with the worst being steep skirted SSB filters.

I’ve worked professionally with AM broadcast transmitters since 1958 and
watched them evolve over the decades as we perfected the science over that
time. I’ve worked with LW and MW transmitters to 2 megawatts and shortwave to
500 kilowatts over the years and consulted on design with almost every major TX
manufacturer.

One of the basics is that a transmitter should have an audio bandwidth 2 to 3
times the actual transmitted audio bandwidth. Bandwidth and peak control is
then external to the TX. Lack of that capability is part of the reason some
transceivers sound bad on AM. It is also the source of part of how some hold AM
in low esteem due IM and other distortions in the linear amplification  chain,
again, due to a predominately SSB oriented design. There are a number of
modified BC TXs mostly on 160 and 80 meters with audio bandwidths between 10
and 20 KHz and they dont have the same issues but they do have proper audio
processing feeding them.

Back in the 1950s when AM still ruled the ham bands transmitters did not have
the same issues as they were designed for AM and CW operation and did not have
audio filtering even though there were more hams back then. Spectral
distribution of speech have frequencies around 5 KHz20 to 30 db below speech
fundamentals so the impact is not what many might think when the TX is
otherwise clean.

Bottom line, AM in transceivers is a compromise that takes a back seat to SSB.

Sent from my iPad