From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Jim Danehy
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 4:47 AM
To: Elecraft Mailing List <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] Antenna comment

You can be a mile high (5,280’) on a plateau that goes for many miles. That
still is FLAT LAND as far as a TAKE OFF ANGLE.
What counts is the IMMEDIATE SLOPE of the land underneath the antenna. The
first 1000 + feet is critical. The FIRST BOUNCE to the IONOSPHERE is the
criterion for a DX LOCATION. My current location IMMEDIATELY slopes from 800
feet to 400 feet for a mile. That occurs near major tributaries. The River has
taken millions of years to shove the ground away and cut a path for the water
to flow. That creates hills

Back in the late 1970s I operated the CQ WW SSB Contest as a mobile station.
One hundred watts and an 8 foot whip. I parked at 800 feet above Sea Level and
looked directly down on the Ohio River 400 feet down. In 2 days during the
daylight hours I worked 76 DXCC entities. Results in 1976 CQ Magazine I think
it was.

High up in the mountains is not sufficient  if you don’t have an IMMEDIATE DROP
OFF that slopes downward. That is known as the take off angle.

A station in Barbados (8P6) asked me : “what you got in that car a Henry 2K” ?
Some things you don’t forget.

73
Jim W9VNE

Sent from my iPhone