Jason,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble at critical times, but that is
when Murphy is most likely to strike <G>.

Based on those symptoms, the first thing to look for is a short or low
resistance to ground on the dash line.  Look at the schematic and inentify
those components that connect to the line, then look at the parts placement
diagram to find where those parts are located and inspect each of them
carefully top and bottom for whiskers of solder or anything else that may
cause current to flow to ground.

You could also try lifting the firmware chip partially out of the socket and
re-seating it - that will usually wipe any bits of corrosion off the
junction of the chip and socket pins.

73,
Don W3FPR