I noticed this issue exists when using the memory channels as well. My solution
was to remove the Kenwood cable, just hook up the ptt line and let the KAT/KPA
500s sense the frequency and make the adjustments on the fly.They are really,
really quickMike KC8WHSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy Tablet
-------- Original message --------From: Jeff Hughes
<jeffreyhug...@earthlink.net> Date: 3/21/20  1:17 PM  (GMT-05:00) To:
elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: [Elecraft] Elecraft KAT500/KPA500 PowerCombo
only Partially Compatible with Modern Kenwood Rigs Just a little public service
announcement that the Elecraft KAT500/KPA500 PowerCombo is only partially
compatible with modern Kenwood radios.  To whit… the PowerCombo works with VFO
A, but not VFO B.Most modern rigs come with dual VFO’s, of course.  And many
come with outright dual receivers.  This ability to quickly monitor and move
between bands/frequencies comes in handy in a variety of scenarios.  And most
of us happily bounce between these dual VFO’s without attaching any particular
importance to one over the other.The problem lies with the KAT500, which
reliably tracks VFO A… but which cannot track VFO B.  The upshot being that if
you’re operating VFO A, the KAT500/KPA500 PowerCombo will work as expected.
But as soon as you toggle over to VFO B the KAT500 will manifest with clacking
relays with every Tx on/off transition and the KPA500 will instantly fault with
High Reflected Power if it is brought online in SWR conditions that required a
tuned solution from the KAT500.Said differently, if you’re operating in
conditions where native, un-tuned SWR is low – where you don’t need the KAT500,
in other words - the KPA500 works perfectly.  But as soon as you move to a
frequency with a moderate-or-higher SWR – a situation where you need the KAT500
to insert its tuned solution – it cannot do so, and the KPA500 faults.  The
behavior is independent of the best practices usually espoused for the KAT500…
always operate in ‘Manual,’ “train the tuner” to lock in inductor/capacitor
settings in advance, and do that pre-tuning with 25-watts or more for greater
accuracy.This VFO B problem applies to the Kenwood TS-590SG, TS-890S, TS-990S,
and perhaps others.On their own, the KAT500/KPA500 PowerCombo are a remarkable
addition to any shack.  Profound is the word I’ve often used to describe their
impact.  However, the inability to use VFO B in conjunction with them is a
pretty major failing.I have no information one way or the other, but I suspect
the KPA1500 also suffers from this issue.Probably the thing that surprises me
most is that this issue has apparently existed for years… and yet has not been
socialized anywhere that I’m aware of.  Neither the Kenwood TS-890S User Manual
nor the Kenwood TS-890S In-Depth Manual make mention that their VFO’s A and B
implement slightly different character streams.  Elecraft’s KAT500 Automatic
Antenna Tuner Owner’s Manual doesn’t mention that interfacing with Kenwood
radios is a problem.  Fred Cady, KE7X (RIP), doesn’t mention it in his KPA500
Amplifier and KAT500 Tuner manual.  And it doesn’t appear to have made its way
into any knowledgebase within Elecraft itself.  One wonders how many hours have
been spent by Elecraft staff and Elecraft customers – and how many KAT500 and
KPA500’s have been shipped back for repair – because of this one issue.And
that’s why I’m posting it here.I’d like to thank Bob and Dick from Elecraft for
their prompt, professional, and thoughtful assistance in helping me to look at
the anomalous behavior I’ve always seen, but never could quite pin down, with
my KAT500/KPA500.  And I’d especially like to thank Andy Durbin, K3WYC, for
finally illuminating what was actually going on.  Andy submitted a defect
report last fall and hopefully Elecraft will prioritize it at some point.In the
meantime, if you’re running a Kenwood rig and are contemplating adding the
KAT500/KPA500 PowerCombo… be aware that there are issues.73, Jeff
http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htmPost: mailto:elecr...@mailman.qth.netThis list
hosted by: http://www.qsl.netPlease help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.htmlMessage delivered to kc8wh...@gmail.com