I personally like free-spinning knobs on both VFOs, and I especially like the after-market weighted knobs that were available a few years ago.  I have them on both the K3 and KX3.

But dimpled knobs exhibit out-of-roundness since material has been removed to form the dimple.  When spun, such knobs will back-lash at the end of their travel.

My ultra sophisticated procedure for perfect adjustment is to increase the knob's resistance to spinning until there is no more back-lash as indicated on the frequency display set to the smallest Hertz.  The knob is still free-spinning but when it stops the frequency stops.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV