This one turns up regularly, Lee, so don't feel like the "lone ranger".

Yes, a menu command will disable the sidetone. It's one many ops stumble
across accidentally.

In MENU, select the sidetone level (St L). You'd expect to hear the sidetone
running now so you can adjust the level. Now tap DISPLAY to change the
source of the sidetone from the controller. The sidetone should now blast
forth nicely (provided you have the level up).

Ron AC7AC