Both the KX3 and KX2 have over voltage protection on the mic input. If the
input is too high mic input will be clamped to zero. When adjusting the audio
level, start with the mic/line gain all the way down and increase it slowly.
You should see the ALC increase. Stop when it reaches 4 bars with the 5th
flickering.

Since I don't do much data mode with my KX2 this feature bites me once in a
while. :-)
HTH & 73,
Brian, K0DTJ