Ray,

I reported to this forum (ca. February 2019) a similar, though not
identical, problem involving my K3/10 while running from an Astron RS-20A
supply.  My problem occurred in receive mode rather than transmit mode,
which made it a bit more difficult to understand because the current demand
for my K3 in receive mode is less than 1 A.

After finding no problem using an alternate supply (Astron SS-30 or 12 V
battery), I ripped my RS-20A apart to test the various parts on either side
of the regulator board.  To keep a long story short, the problem turned out
to be the large electrolytic filter capacitor at the output of the rectifier
block (ahead of the regulator board).  It had no external signs of leakage
or bulging, but its ESR (equivalent series resistance) had risen to perhaps
2-3 ohms.

Finding it hard to believe this ESR could present the DC voltage and current
oscillations I observed, I did a SPICE simulation of the
transformer/rectifier/filter capacitor circuit with a load designed to draw
about 1 A.  A good capacitor (ESR = 0.05 ohms) showed hardly any DC voltage
ripple, whereas the capacitor with 3 ohms ESR showed huge ripple.  I didn't
get a chance to put a scope on the actual RS-20A regulator input to confirm
the simulation result, but it appears that the regulator circuit developed a
low-frequency limit cycle oscillation when loaded by the K3/10 at 1 A
current, likely due to the high amplitude voltage ripple at the regulator
input caused by the elevated ESR of the filter capacitor.  The DC bus
voltage reported by the K3 toggled between two values, 13.6 V and 12.7 V.

Motto of this story: even if an electrolytic doesn't appear bad externally,
suspect increased ESR and replace it.

73,
Mike, K8CN

--