Agree...  the adapter has a PTT input.  I was planning on making a "box", the adapter is easier.  and yes, VOX works and have used cheap headset/VOX and have used HC4 Heil headset/VOX too.  PTT has advantage of not TXing when you don't want...

I tried the splitter cable (I may have gotten the wrong one) it didn't work and I never got to "ringing" out the cable to see why it didn't work... (I don't like Heil's choice of a 1/4" PTT connector - would rather see RCA for mix-up proofing)

steve

I’m sure that is a nice cable, but if you just want to plug a 1/8 inch mic plug
into the KX3, an off-the-shelf $6 stereo to mono splitter will do the same job.
I figured that out while drawing out the schematic for an adapter box. Details
here:

https://observer.wunderwood.org/2015/08/16/yamaha-cm500-headset-with-ptt-on-elecraft-kx3/

wunder
K6WRU