I don't recall that discussion you're talking about, but I can say the K3(s) has nowhere near that stability or resolution. (At least mine doesn't)  I don't know why Elecraft would design intentional instability into the radio.

During a recent thread about the TCXO option, I did some quick-n-dirty measurements of my old K3 with standard reference and my newer K3S with the high stability reference.  I have a cable that I can run from the reference board to a frequency counter (BG7TBL FA-2 w/Bodnar GPSDO reference). For this I have to remove the top covers on the radios.  I found the old radio to be inaccurate but precise.  I could touch the crystal oscillator and see the frequency move from temperature effects but recover quickly. The TCXO was another story.  It moved around when I just laid a sheet of paper over the open box.  I didn't quantify this as I had to move on to other things; maybe later.

The frequency conversion scheme in these radios is proprietary but it entails a lot of fussing around, with sideband switching, bandwidth adjusting, etc.  All of this AFAIK is done with DDSes which are not exact, they move in steps, albeit little steps, but steps nonetheless.

If you want better you might look at the past results of the ARRL FMT (which coincidentally was held last night) to read the soapbox comments of what other folks are using.

http://fmt.arrl.org/fmtresults.php

Wes  N7WS