I realized that the "Tune" wattage was set high enough to always
switch the PA in, even when the power was dialed down to <12W.

With that corrected, I now see consistent behavior.

When KPA3 gets into "bad" state, I see no power out and hear no signal
on receive. Dialing the power down to <12W results in the "clack" of
the KPA3 bypass relays and immediately restores operation (albeit at
QRP levels). Dialing the power up and down across the 12W mark makes
the receive go in and out (no receive w/ KPA3 inline). Turning power
on and off does not clear the fault - still persists after it comes
back up. It does eventually resolve itself though and operate normally
for a while. But have yet to determine a reliable means to "fix" it on
demand.

But it is clearly a problem in the KPA3 and not the base K3S, since
all is cured once the KPA3 is bypassed.

I have now reproduced this on multiple HF bands as well, so not just a
six meter problem.

I started digging into the schematics. T/R circuit in the KPA3 seems
like the obvious place to start. Though I can't really see how a
single component failure in there would cause what I'm describing (in
particular the "memory" effect that causes the problem to manifest for
a while and then go away).

I probed the 7T and 7R voltages on connector P68A (easily accessible
w/ top lid removed from rig). Looks fine - about 6V on either when in
TX or RX, respectively, and ~0.3V when complemented. Also confirmed 5V
is present on appropriate pins of P68A and 13.8V is present on P68B.

I'd like to probe further on the PA board (while installed, so can see
what is going on), but while there are many exposed vias visible with
the K3S lid off, the silkscreen side is not visible when the module is
installed. So its hard to figure out what to probe. Does anyone have
access to board layout images, or otherwise a guide to what to
probepoints are available on the heatsink side (which faces up when
module installed) of the PCB? If not I suppose next step is to pull
the board out and try to map it out manually when I have a bit more
time, but hoping to save that step.

For reference, schematic of interest is on pg. 46, here:
https://ftp.elecraft.com/K3S/Manuals%20Downloads/E740323%20K3s%20Schematic%20Files.pdf

Thanks,
Ben N1VF