Problem is definitely the interlock switch not being engaged correctly: if I
close it manually (with a wooden rod!) the amp operates normally.

Anyone have an assembly manual for the older type KPA500, so I can see how the
top-panel interlock switch is supposed to be engaged? Again, this a fairly old
amp, and Elecraft changed things in later versions (like the one covered in the
assembly manual currently on the website).

Thanks!

Tom W4KX