NK7Z wrote

> Initial testing here indicates no power level is safe...  At 150 watts
> the KPA500 reaches 70C pretty fast, in under two minutes, and 70C is my
> upper limit for testing...  At 500 watts it reaches 70C in about the
> same time...
>
> Can I assume the amp is not the most efficient thing in the world at 200
> watts?

Correct!

Up to a certain limit, the output power increases with PA current
quadratically. So the maximum dissipation may be below the max power, and
decreasing power does not reduce dissipation much.

Assume that at 600W KPA500 operates at 60% efficiency. 1000W total, 400W
dissipation.
Now reduced the power to 1/4 or 150W. The input current is reduced 50% to
500W. The dissipation is 350W, not much below 400W at full power. With
KAP500, the dissipation at low power can actually get worse than predicted
since the power supply is unregulated and has higher voltage at lower
current.

Reduction of dissipation at low power can be done at least 2 ways. One is
reduction of voltage as done in SPE amps. The other one is changing the the
transformation ratio of output amp, e.g., in KX3; hard to do at high power.

One can have the action of a different transformation ratio with a manual
tuner. Once my 20A power supply died but I had a 5A supply available. But
the max power was only 5W before the power supply switched off. 1/4 curent =
1/16 power. By adjusting a manual tuner for max output I got 20W. But KPA
may not let this trick go because of SWR. protection.

Ignacy, NO9E

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/