On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Nick Waterman wrote:

> Many fields have their own sets of jargon, none of them seem that bad to
> insiders, most of them sound pointless to outsiders.
>
> AUTOEXEC.BAT, boot.ini, ntldr, regedit, pagefile.sys,
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Macafee, Symantec, C-colon-backslash, DLL, EXE, INI,
>  WMA, BMP, RDP, dir, zip, installshield, chkdsk, system32, devmgr,
> tracert, hyperterminal...
>
> ls, grep, awk, perl, xoscope, baudline, vi, emacs, fsck /dev/hda1,
> traceroute, df, cp, rpm, more, less, tar, top, tty, chmod, /etc/passwd,
> kill, mplayer, sendmail, xterm...

Nick, I notice "Macafee" & "Symantec" in the first group, but no
equivalent words in the second...

Have you missed something from the Linux list...

;-)

 John 'SLV
ASIDE for the *nix among us - I'm sitting at work, on a private network
that has a webproxy server to allow us minions access to the web. I've
used Putty to connect, using SSH via the company proxy server, to my
home network, where my ADSL router port-forwards me to my Linux desktop
machine. I can run terminal sessions/software directly or full graphical
VNC sessions by tunelling the VNC connection over the SSH connection.
This single SSH connection is also used to securely tunnel connections
to my mailserver at home, allowing me to run an email client - PCPine -
on my work machine and talk IMAP and SMTP to my mailserver at home, so I
can sit here and keep an eye on my email while I'm at work. I'm not
aware that this would be easy, or even possible, with windows machines.
Are there free ssh servers, IMAP and SMTP servers, DNS servers - all of
which I've got running at home, entirely for free? Even the OS itself is
free..!
The various machines are old cast offs - either 486's or P1 vintage
(except the main desktop which is a second hand P4/2.6GHz). Linux keeps
these old doorstops in a useful job!