From: Jack Brindle <jackbrin...@me.com>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 6:58 PM
To: Jim Perry <j...@kj3p.us>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA500: Bonehead Input Overload

Jim;

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your KPA500. I am sure the guys in
Support are backed up, so let’s see if I might be able to help. My questions:
* How does the receive sound with the amplifier in STBY? OPER? Does it drop, or
sound as expected with the KPA bypassed?
* While in STBY, when you transmit, are there any issues with the output, is it
attenuated?
* Are you getting the normal asterisk in the LCD when you transmit with the KPA
in OPER?

You don’t mention which transceiver you are using, but I’d like to test the RF
band switching.
If you normally have RADIO = K3 or BCD, change to RADIO = SERIAL.
if normally RADIO = SERIAL, change to RADIO = BCD You get the idea - change
RADIO to something besides normal (but not BCD if a K3).
Then, with the KPA in STBY, change bands on the TX and transmit, does the KPA
also change bands?

Lastly, if you will send me a KPA500 fault log, I will analyze it. Use the KPA
Utility, go to the Configuration tab. Select “Display Fault Table”.
Click on Save to File, then send me the resulting file.

Hopefully we will be able to fix things without sending your baby back to
Watsonville.

73!
Jack, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering