I believe Elecraft equipment has static drains built in but I always put a resistor in a PL-259 plugged into one arm of a coax tee with the antenna on the other arm, on the connector on the radio.  It doesn't have to be precipitating to create "precipitation static" and it won't take long for those infinitesimal little charges to fill up the input capacitance on the first RF stage.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County