There was a recent discussion about this on a forum I belong to, especially comparing the LP100 to a Bird. The original article describing the design of the LP100 (not 'A') by Larry said he calibrated the meter with a Bird 4410. I asked Larry about his calibration procedure on the LP100 (or LP500- can't remember) email reflector. He no longer uses a Bird for calibration! So many hams (and CB'ers) think a Bird is the ultimate in accuracy.... not so! However the Telepost meters are not field instruments! Check recent posts in the reflector I mentioned to see Larry's calibration procedure.

BTW, Ameritron/MFJ use an LP100 to calibrate their meters!
--
-de John NIØK