Ken Alexander wrote:

When my K2 is completed later this summer I will
complete my conversion to 100% QRP by selling my Yaesu
FT-857 and the SGC tuner

Most of the SGC tuners will work at 5 watts. I think the T1 is neat, but why bother replacing the SGC, waterproofing the T1, etc? You can still build a T1 and use it for portable operations!

I assume that this configuration would work better
than using the T1 in the shack for multiband
operation, but maybe I'm wrong.

You're right. On those bands where the SWR and reactance are high, having the tuner at the antenna base is an advantage.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco