Mike,

They are all 8 foot rods and were driven vertically with a fence post driver and then finished off with a sledge. I was 20 years younger at that time, I could not do it today.  3 or 4 rods in a day was all the shoulders could manage.
Yes, we hit some small rocks, but they will split is hammered on enough.
We did not encounter large rocks when digging the house foundation or the trenches for the ground source heat pump - so it is not too rocky where we are - fist sized at the largest.

73,
Don W3FPR