I know the Energizer's are the preferred battery for the KX1, but am curious if anyone has tried these off->brands that seem to save a couple bucks?

For example I've had good luck with other batteryspace products:

http://batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1506

I've just ordered a set and will post the results to my page when I get them in and tested.

Caveat:
At the bottom of the Batteryspace page linked above, there is a "Related Products" section. One of these items is a Lithium-Ion (as opposed to a regular Lithium non-rechargeables on the main part of that page) battery in an AA package.
See: http://batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1336
This is a bad idea - be careful! The cell voltage of this "AA cell" is 3.7. Put six of these in your KX1 and you'll be lighting it up with 22 VDC!

John Harper AE5X
Portable QRP: http://www.ae5x.com