A bit more information about how things work in the KPA500. The boot loader
runs on back-panel power-on or when the amplifier is powered off from the front
panel (or by command). It runs in power-down state, sleeping the processor as
much as possible. It looks for inputs from the front panel power button (which
is in parallel with a pin on the AUX/IO port) and the serial port. The serial
port has an abbreviated command set (described in the KPA500 Programmer’s
Reference) - the memory segment for bootstrap loader is full, and there was not
enough space to implement a full command set style protocol. The portion the
boot loader is fixed at 38400 bps. Reception of a ‘P’ character causes the
loader to check firmware memory, and if that check is positive it moves
execution to the main firmware, where the amplifier is initialized and brought
on-line. If the user has set a different data rate, it will be changed at this
point.

Because the boot command structure is different from the main commands it is
possible for the KPA Utility (or any control program) to get out of sync with
the KPA if the user powers down (or up) the KPA from the front panel power
button. The KPA Utility usually does a very good job of catching the situation
and moving to the proper mode. There is a slight difference between the three
versions - W4SMT has done a very good job of catching this in the Mac and Linux
versions, to the point where missing the change is very rare (as far as I have
seen). I will also say the the Window’s version is also rare at missing this,
but apparently there are times when it may miss things as Dick has stated.

In any case, as I noted, we test this scenario extensively. It does usually
work, as I noted previously. We just need to determine why Lyn is seeing it
fail.

73!
Jack, W6FB