I quit using Heil products. Many of the ear muffs rotted off after one
sweaty session at FD. I switched over to a $29.99 Logitec boom mic computer
headset with 1/8 plugs. I figured it would break easily, I was wrong, I am
still using it after 7 years and many sweaty operating conditions, FD,
Special events, POTA, etc. Never a problem and my voice is very natural and
I regularly get great sound reports from people that know my voice.On the
K3s with factory defaults, I just leave the equalization sliders alone and
I am good to go. I have used the same headset traveling playing computer
games in hotel rooms for 10 years.  Both my son and I abandon Heil products
because of their product construction and reliability issues. The computer
gaming manufactures understand what it takes to make a great comfortable
headset and Bob Heil could take lessons from them. For instance, cloth ear
muff covering, braided nylon cable coverings, easy swivel phones on the
headband, lightweight but strong construction that does not crush your ears
like a set of unpadded tuna cans mounted to a 29cent headband from the
dollar store. Even the Heil replacement cables made of flat 3 wired cable,
will rot and crack in high humidity and heat that we regularly experience
in Kansas. The cables fatigue so easily and are easily cut if a drawer or
door closes on them or if a chair rolls over them, you are done. Operating
outside in South Texas or near sea air in Maine in the summertime will do a
number on the cables and the earmuff covering. The computer headsets have
the nylon braided covering and the braid is moulded into the connector
preventing sharp bending fatigue. For me it is Logitec with the
electrec mic. They are lightweight, totally cover the ear, mute external
sound well and cost 1/10th of what a set of heils run and last at least 4
to 5 times as long probably....after 7 years, I'm still on my first pair.
In contrast I was going through a set of Heils every 18 months as something
would go wrong. Generally the flimsy cables would short/open circuit or the
earmuffs would rot off. Don't even mention the $250 dollar set that after
wearing for 4 hours, gives me a headache and is as heavy as 2 anvils
crushing into the side of your head. Why did I buy so many Heil products,
mainly because I could not try them on. I go to BestBuy, The headsets are
all on display for comfort and sound quality. Try them on, choose your
pair, walk out a happy man.

My 2 cents and for what it is worth, and $2.98 you can get a cup of joe.

73,
Morgan NJ8M