Bob,

I assume you also have 8R active at the same time - that is the usual case. I have encountered it a few times in the process of repairing over 1000 K2s.

The problem source is usually on the Control Board. Check the voltage on the gate of Q3 - it should be zero during receive.
Also check the gate of Q4.

If both gates are at about 5 volts, then you have a problem with the MCU and it should be replaced. You could try a Master Reset, but it is unlikely to correct the problem.

OTOH, if only one gate Q3 or Q4 is at 5 volts, then look for something that is putting the K2 into transmit.

Should you find the gate of Q3 at zero volts, and you still have 8T active all the time, either Q3 is not conducting when it should or there is a problem with Q1 and the RP1 resistors.

73,
Don W3FPR