Murray,

Those diffuser leads should just touch the top of the board since 2 spacers are 1/8 inch and the leads are also 1/8 inch. Solder them from the top of the board - being careful so the iron does not touch anything but the leads and the solder pads.

If the leads do not touch the solder pads, sand down a spacer so that it does just touch. If there are rough spots on the spacers, sand them off.

73,
Don W3FPR