From: David Gilbert [mailto:ab7e...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:57 PM
To: l...@lnainc.com; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] FT8 - was "On Second Thought, I'll Take The Stairs"

Not quite.  I'm aware of JS8 and tried it more than a year ago, but it
still has much of the rigidity of the WSJT-X user interface and isn't as
basic as I think would be desirable.

Think of it this way ... CW works fine as both a contest mode, DXing
mode, and conversational mode.  Underlaying CW with a well configured
digital signal processing scheme like that which is under FT8, except
with a different user interface than either WSJT-X or JS8,  could be
equally versatile but with maybe 6-8 db better S/N ... possibly by an
even greater margin if the decoding allowed errors instead of being all
or nothing.

I'm not saying text-to-CW is the only way to reap the benefit of modern
digital signal processing ... only using it as an example.

People only interested in a contact will probably always prefer
WSJT-X/FT8 because it does that very well, but both contesting and rag
chewing could really use a different (simpler) structure while still
utilizing the superior weak signal peformance of modern digital signal
processing.  I guarantee that it is possible to do so.

73,
Dave   AB7E