> Robert Sands <k7vora...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is the processor in the K4 fast or big enough to handle the demand of the
> anticipated predistortion algorithm?

Yes. Modulation and demodulation is handled by a dedicated, very fast
floating-point DSP with various on-chip accelerators. The panadapters run from
separate hardware, so the DSP has plenty of cycles to burn, especially in
transmit mode.

> Is this predistortion algorithm a proprietary matter or is it constructed de
> novo from existing knowledge?

There are three parts to this.

First you need the appropriate hardware paths, which we already have in place:
RF sampling of the reference waveform as well as the internal or external
transmit signal.

Second, the DSP has to apply complex curve fitting at baseband. This is
typically done with several terms of a Volterra series, etc.

Finally you need an algorithm for adaptive convergence on the ideal
coefficients. This can range from LMS (least-mean-squares) to back-propagation
(neural net). This is the "fun" (time consuming) part of the R&D, with
tradeoffs in performance vs. processing time vs. staff availability. Given the
multitude of distractions I can't say exactly how long this will take. It's
likely that a simpler version of the algorithm will be available initially,
allowing for early evaluation.

73,
Wayne
N6KR