On 2020-10-13 00:54:-0700, dl2ki wrote:
>Hi,
>i found this very interesting article by Hjalmar, OZ1JHM

http://www.oz1jhm.dk/content/wetting-current-and-cw-paddles

I have an amusing story along these lines.
Coming home one night from a late date with my wife, we came upon a car stalled
at a light. It was perhaps 22-2300.
I got out to see what I might do.
The car would not start. The usual clicking from the starter, usually
indicating a dead battery.
Short version.
I asked the other driver to turn on the radio. It worked.
I then asked them to turn the headlamps. They worked.
After a bit of additional troubleshooting, during which I did nothing to the
car, I suggested they turn on the headlamps and attempt to start the car. It
started.
Arriving home, my wife promptly challenged me, saying that common practice is
to turn off all electrics to preserve battery charge, and then attempt to start
the car.
I told her that the battery was fine, and I opined as time passed that there
was possibly too much corrosion on the terminals. When the starter circuit
engaged, it didn't draw enough current to move the solenoid fully.
By turning on the headlamps, which are a large resistive load, a current path
was generated through the oxidation. Then the starter was able to draw enough
current to fully engage the solenoid.

Of course, this may have been a fortunate coincidence. ;-)