Isn’t the name apt, though?

A feedpoint choke like this does manage the interface from the unbalanced coax
to the balanced antenna by inhibiting the flow of common-mode currents. Hence,
Bal-Un.

Agree that the term is insufficiently descriptive.

> On Oct 14, 2020, at 12:57 PM, Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/14/2020 6:19 AM, Alan - G4GNX wrote:
>> I presume that you disconnected the feeder from the balun when you did the
>> DC Ohms test? If not, there is something wrong because you should see almost
>> a dead (DC) short through the primary of the balun.
>
> Here's an example of where the word "balun" blows up our thinking about
> problem solving. The "balun" you're describing is a transformer, sometimes
> called a voltage balun. Other things commonly called a "balun" are a common
> mode choke, which should look like an open circuit at both DC and RF.
>
> The word "balun" should be eliminated from our use. I know of at least ten
> very different things that are called a "balun."
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

> Message delivered to aa...@arrl.net

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com