In a K3S tested with two Alpha 87a amps using RF sensing to change band and
tuning the K3S appears to easily trip the amp into Fault mode. When amp is
cycled between Operate and Standby to clear the Fault, K3s can no longer
key the amp unless you cycle power to the radio. Then it works properly
again.

1. Manually change bands on the radio, with amp still sitting on prior band
and with the drive turned down to 5 to 8 W to try to ensure we won't trip
the amp while possibly transmitting into a momentarily high SWR of the
wrong band input circuitry? When keyed on the new band to have the amp
auto-tune it trips into Fault.
2. After cycling the amp from Standby back to Operate the K3S can no longer
key the amp. It is transmitting in apparent bypass mode as indicated by the
low RF level still indicating on the built in Watt meter of the amp.
3. This was tested with two 87a amps. Same issue.
4. Pulling the key line and shorting RCA plug at radio end does
successfully key the amp.
5. Another K3 radio with updated syn) doesn't do this.
6. I believe the pertinent default settings of the two radios were set to
be the same, though perhaps the band by band default drive setting or limit
may not have been mapped (If I understand correctly).

I am the new owner of the K3S and I have zero experience with the radio or
type. I've not set up my station yet (working on rebuilding tower and
antennas) since buying the radio.  It is about 3 years old but only used
for 6 months by the prior owner and once by my group at last year's Field
Day. The radio and P3 are being loaned to a friend to use in an SO2R entry
in a contest.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas on what may be wrong?
Can my K3S be sending a spike of power, anyway, to cause the trip? We
haven't gotten further into verifying this or other things as we only
started this today.Thank you for any help you may provide.

Kimo Chun, KH7U
k...@lava.net