Hi Jack,
I've had both my KAT500 and KPA500 powered on 24/7 for the last several
years, as I operate them remotely from my second home in Texas.  The
KPA500's AC power is connected through a dedicated line, surge protector
and battery backup.  The KAT500, which is DC powered, is connected to an
Astron RS-35M, which is on a dedicated line, surge protector and battery
backup.

As Tony, N2TK, stated, they need to be powered on if wanting to run
remotely.

73 de Jim - KE8G