Carl, Chuck and Alan,,

Carl, your suggestions are good and logical ones for attempting to fix the
PTT_KEY parameter problem , but in this case, this was a problem that was
designed to be so by
Elecraft. Here is Elecraft's solution to my problem:

" From your description of the issue, it sounds like you have USB.SAFE enabled
for PTT-KEY.  This is a feature to prevent accidental transmissions when a
computer toggles DTR and RTS lines during a reboot.  When USB.SAFE is enabled,
it will keep PTT-KEY set to OFF-OFF until the radio receives valid serial
commands over the serial connection.  It can be confusing, since the setting
will show as OFF-OFF until it receives those commands.  You can toggle USB.SAFE
off and on by tapping 1 on the keypad while viewing the PTT-KEY menu."

This was from Rob in support.

Chuck and Alan, as long as you don't tap the #1 key on the keypad while looking
at the PTT-KEY parameter, this will not happen to you. Interestingly enough,
the display will show UNSAFE and SAFE when in this condition and tapping the #!
Will toggle the condition. I also think you have to have the KIOB module
installed too. It sounds like it is USB specific and KIOA modules will not be
affected (Ithink).

Best regards

Jerry, W1IE