On 2020-11-20 21:39:-0500, barry halterman wrote:
>... I noticed a disturbing pop when tuning
>around strong cw stations. The s meter would jump to maximum signal
>strength and my ears took a beating with the loud pop!
>The rig went back to Elecraft for evaluation and I was told with this type
>of PLL circuit design, this is the nature of the beast....

I run my original Kenwood TS830 (I lurk here because I am thinking of
purchasing an Elecraft, and wanted to see what folks have to say). I was
surprised the first time I heard someone manually scanning the bands, and there
were regular pops. They were at regular intervals, but I don't recall the freq
step. It was on even boundaries, though, such as 3.900000 and so on. Not sure
if it was on all bands, and I don't recall which rigs had it. Even so, it was
more like clicks than pops, and not very loud. they would click in both
directions as the boundary passed. I asked an op to "hold" on a click, but it
was not possible.