You sound exactly like me 20 years ago.  I built a K2 with all the options
including the KPA100 but no KSB2.  They weren't all available yet when I built
the K2 but as they became available they were all fun little add on projects,
except the KPA100, which was a bigger fun add-on project.  Lots of toroids to
wind, though bigger in the KPA100.  When I was building the K2 there was still
some debugging and optimization of the design going on.  I was in the thick of
it back then and have many many posts in the reflector archives.

The K2 is the by far the best radio you will assemble yourself. 15-20 years ago
it was still one of the best performing radios available. And, though things
have moved on,  it still performs better than many current radios and is still
one of my favorite radios to use.  I've been inactive on-and off since the
early '00s but I've never run into a situation where its sensitivity or
selectivity was limiting; DX pileups, contests, long ragchews, no problem.
(still CW only and no KSB2).

It's got a microprocessor of course, but all the signal processing and RF is
analog, and done with the circuits you built; winding toroids, soldering all
the discrete components, and aligning and troubleshooting it all in the end.
If it's not working great, there's probably something you need to figure out
and fix.  If you study it as you go, you'll learn a heck of a lot about how
radios work.
Personally, I don't find SDR, DSP, digital modes and all the wizzbang
associated features that interesting.  My favorite rigs include the K2, K1,
Wilderness SST, and Rockmite with Miniboots amp.   The K1 is a lot of fun and I
used to use it as a nice compact rig to take along on business trips.  Too bad
it's not available anymore.
There's lots of room for different interests in ham radio.
Lou W7HV