I can’t help but think we’re over-thinking this.

I think the original post was regarding ‘portable' operation.  When I go
portable I don’t carry a large antenna with lots of wire or weight.  I usually
carry a 41’ (non-resonant) wire with a 9:1 unun rated at 300w watts, and a
throwing line and weight to get the far end of the wire up in a tree. I have a
large OCFD and a 40’ fiberglass’s mast to get it up, but frankly, for quickie
portable, getting the center pole staked and up and guyed is more trouble than
its worth.  If it was for a weekend or a week, maybe.  But I’d rather spend the
time operating.  I’ve used the simple wire with both a K3 and KX3 with internal
ATUs.  Works fine.  Nothing has ever cooked.  The internal ATUs typically get
SWR to 1.2:1 or better.  Feedline is 25 feet of RG-58 choked off a foot before
the radio termination.

Sure, some power is getting lost in the tuner, the balun, the feedline, the
connectors, human absorption, whatever.   But …

Grant NQ5T