Update:

With one-quarter of one leg of the dipole still under ice, I got a reception report from PSKReporter on FT8 with 2 watts to Italy. That shouldn't work, should it?  Maybe the ice doesn't matter?

KD5VXH recalled a discussion in QST on this very subject, where 400W AM melted the ice on one leg of the dipole (fed by coax), but not the other.
'
You can follow the controversy in May and July 1960 letters in QST!

david
KC1DNY