Craig - I built one about two months ago and it’s working fine.

On mine, to go to bypass, I quickly press the PWR button, then the BYP button.
Doing so alternates back and forth between bypass and not. After doing that
one-two press combo, the yellow will light up for a second or two if you are in
bypass and the green will light up if you are in tune/operate. Note that the
label set “tap”.

The yellow will light up if you press PWR and then do nothing within two
seconds or so. I believe that it is telling you the last forward power level.

Does that help?

Jim / W6JHB