Ray said: I use my standard computers sound card for Digital Mode, works
Fine.
Save your money!   Ray WA6VAB K3

It is perfectly possible to do this. It is electronically possible. And
yes, it works fine. But just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. It is
incredibly easy to accidentally transmit music or other spurious sounds
because some other piece of software also uses the standard sound card.
You're welcome to use your computer and your radio as you see fit, but keep
in mind that you do have a responsibility to follow the FCC regulations,
and if something you do attracts the attention of a VM or the Enforcement
Bureau, you may get a "Certificate of Naughtiness" or some such from the
Powers That Be.

It's much safer for your license status to spend $10 bucks or so on a USB
sound card that you solely use for ham radio digital modes. That keeps any
musical Windows alerts, notifications of subscribed Youtube videos, Ebay
notifications for auctions you are watching, the baby monitor, or any of a
dozen other things that are automatically connected to the Default Sound
Devices, from sending anything that might jeopardize your license. If the
cat walks on your keyboard while you're getting a cup of coffee, and turns
on Spotify, you might come in to see that your cat just Rickrolled the
80-meter FT8 window, and was in the process of telling the world about your
WAP when you discovered it. Things happen. Accidents happen. You can
overlook something. This is just how things are.

But you and I both know that Murphy loves moments like these, and that the
perversity of the Universe tends to the maximum.

Spend $10 to help keep your $2000 radio from sending extraneous sounds from
your $900 PC over the air, because you and I also know that at the precise
moment you think "nothing can possibly go wrong" and go get your coffee,
three VMs will have JUST tuned up their machines to do a little 80m FT8,
and your cat thinks your keyboard feels good under her paws.

73,
Gwen, NG3P