From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Gary Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 6:34 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA1500 goes into firmware load

Dick has pointed me at the mechanism. I had forgotten that the REM input is fed
from the K3 12V output, and that is what turns the amp on. If that input is at
12V when applying 240V, you go into firmware load.

So a slight mystery remains, as reported by others, that this sometimes occurs
for no apparent reason, at times when we’re "pretty sure" the 240V is already
on.  When dead-starting and turning on the 240V, I always wait a few sec before
turning on the K3 remotely. But sometimes it comes up in firmware load anyway.
Thankfully this is always recoverable.

FYI: You can also turn on a KPA1500 or 500 by pulsing a line in the Aux bus via
a K3 macro. Info on this is on p. 21 of the K3 Remote Owner's Manual.

Gary NA6O

>On Jan 12, 2021, at 11:23 AM, Dick Dievendorff <d...@elecraft.com> wrote:

If you have 12v on the KPA1500 REM line when the KPA1500 AC lower is turned on,
it interprets this as a hold down of a power button, causing entry into the
firmware loader.  Do you have anything connected to the KPA1500 REM RCA
connector?

73 de Dick, K6KR

>>On Jan 12, 2021, at 11:16, Gary Johnson <g...@wb9jps.com> wrote:

We have a K3 and KPA1500 at a remote site. The KPA has 240V applied to it all
the time, and actually turns on with the K3 via the Aux Bus. We use the remote
control application via Ethernet. Works great. Occasionally, the amp won’t turn
on, and when we investigate, it’s in the firmware load state. The KPA1500
Utility is then able to reload it via USB, and we’re operational again. Nothing
on the computer should be accessing its USB port to cause it to go into that
state. I have noticed that if we cycle the 240V power, sometimes that will put
it in firmware load as well. Is there a common cause here?

-Gary NA6O

delivered to rocke...@gmail.com