Hi Julia -

Running the Transmit Gain procedure (page 33 in my manual) is the usual first thing to do when the power output seems "wanky".

The general recommendation for drive level from the computer is 4 bars with the 5th flashing. If the drive level is too low, the output power will start off low and then build to the power output setting on the radio. If the drive level is 4 bars with the 5th flashing, the radio will start close to the power output setting.

If the drive level is too high, you will drive the radio into using automatic level control which will produce a distorted signal on the air.

If the output power is stablising at levels lower than the setting, try the Transmit Gain calibration procedure.

73 Bill AE6JV