I'm glad you brought that up since I love the Metcal. You can get decent Metcal stuff on Ebay. If I had to choose one iron, and I did, since I had a Metcal too, I'd choose my Weller. There's another brand, Japanese, called Hakko and imitators of the Weller stuff but that's ok they're good.

The Weller WTCPT is the sweet spot, the most high quality iron for the cheapest price, spend $120 and you have a good soldering iron for life. Mine is USA-made, as far as I can tell the tips are, I don't know about the new stuff, they'd better not be making it in China but you'd better check the label if you want to avoid paying the people putting us out of work.

Yes, the Weller Magnetrol system uses the Curie effect, it's really neat! 73 de Alex NS6Y.