"My controller sent a valid command that the KAT500 firmware took exception to.
 I'll withhold the details but other KAT500 users will not experience this
problem."

Several have asked for more detail.  All I can share is that the command that
repeatably caused my KAT500 to lockup does not cause a lockup when KAT firmware
version 1.75 (current released version) is in use.

If others are experiencing problems with their KAT500 I'd suggest providing as
much detail as possible to Elecraft.  I log every command I sent to my KAT500
so, once I had dismissed thermal failure, it was not difficult to isolate the
lockup to a single command and to reproduce the lockup by sending that command
with the KAT utility.

Full details have been shared with KAT500 firmware developer.

73,
Andy, k3wyc